Gmail is a user-friendly email platform which is widely used worldwide. If you are using outlook for your company and also want to use Gmail at the same time, there are certain steps to set up Gmail in Outlook 2016.
To use Gmail in a mail program, various settings and information are necessary. Here are the settings necessary to use Gmail in a mail client.
The differences between IMAP and POP3 are explained here.
The username is always the mail address. The password is the normal Gmail password if you have not enabled 2-step verification. If this is activated, a password must be generated.
How to set up your Gmail account automatically or manually in Outlook, you can read here in this article.
Setup Gmail in Outlook 2016 does not always go smoothly. It can come to different problems.
Set up Gmail access automatically:
The easiest way to set up your Gmail account is to use the automatic configuration under Outlook.
- To do this, first, open the e-mail program, click with the mouse on the top left on “File” and select the menu item “Add account”.
- In the following window, enter your name. This is also the sender that will appear later in emails sent by you.
- Then add your Gmail address and enter your password. By clicking on the “Next” field, Outlook will automatically try to connect to the Gmail server and retrieve all necessary settings.
- If this succeeds, click on “Finish” in the lower right corner of the window. The Outlook Gmail account setup is complete.
If the automatic configuration fails, you can also connect manually:
- To do this, as usual, open your Gmail mailbox through the browser. Now click on the gear icon in the upper right corner to get to the “Settings”.
- In the pop-up menu, click on the tab “Forwarding and POP / IMAP” (see screenshot) and mark the option “Activate IMAP”, which is approximately in the middle.
- Now open Outlook. Click “Start” and “Add Account” again.
- Select “Manually configure server settings or additional server types”. By clicking on “Next” you will reach a mask in which you enter your data and save the password locally. Select “IMAP” as the account type.
- For incoming mail server type “imap.gmail.com”, the field next to “Outgoing mail server” will be filled with “smtp.gmail.com”. Check “Account Settings” by clicking on the “Next” button.